Child has norovirus infection and having frequent vomiting. Symptoms of dehydration?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I think my daughter has just a case of norovirus. She vomited twice this am. She has a history of being dizzy after s/p 1 year concussion. She is 6 years old. She has had 2 near syncopal episodes in her life and her third one today. She was in the shower and couldn't see. I then eased her to the ground and she vomited bile. Does that sound like she is dehydrated?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information about any medicine she has been taking.

You should get following investigations done:-
1. CT (Computed Tomography) or MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) head.
2. ECG (Electrocardiogram).
3. EEG (Electroencephalogram).

If the above investigations are normal, the likely cause seems to be due to Vasovagal attack. It occurs due to decrease in blood supply to the brain leading to unconsciousness. Vomiting, defecation or urination may follow such an attack.

It is not due to dehydration but due to stimulation of vagus nerve and can be related with low blood pressure leading to insufficiency of blood reaching the brain.

Whenever such attack occurs, make her lie down with head end lower and feet slightly raised. This will result in increased supply of blood to the brain.
During vomiting, the body position while lying should be on sides and not straight on back.

You should get her examined by a Neurologist.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.