Child has mild fever with a runny nose and watering eyes. Medicine for instant relief?

Question
My son is 3 years old and is having mild fever with a runny nose and watering eyes. What medicine should I give him for instant relief?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Just few questions before i answer your question better..

How long is the fever there?
Are there any associated complaints other than those you described already?
Is there any history of cough, breathing difficulty, burning urination, increased frequency of urination, etc etc.

If there are no significant associated complaints we treat our patients with Paracetamol.
For the running nose we prescribe antihistaminics.

One should monitor for danger signs in a child with fever.
There are
Poor feeding
Vomiting
Loss of consciouness
Seizures

You may contact me for queries on your kids health on the following URL...........

WWW.WWWW.WW
In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Child has mild fever with a runny nose and watering eyes. Medicine for instant relief? 10 hours later
My son doesn't have any history of cough/breathing ailments. He is having mild fever since last 3 days with constant runny nose and watering eyes. When I give him Crocin the fever subsides temporarily.
The fever isn't very high though. My concern is why is the constant running nose, watery eyes and mild cough not subsiding. I have been giving him some home remedies like warm water,soup with pepper etc... but to no avail. Kindly advice. Which antihistamine syrup should I give him?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Common cold is associated with running nose, watering of eyes. Normally it will take seven days or so to subside without treatment and around the same seven days with treatment.

What I mean to say is treatment with antihistaminics may not alter the duration of symptoms but may help in symptomatic improvement like decreased discharge etc.

Some antihistaminics like chlorpheniramine maleate may be prescribed by your doctor.