Child has lump, no pain, soft, may be fluid-filled. Heating pad helps

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi my 9 year old son has a lump on his XXXXXXX about the size of a small grape. He thinks he fell against some steps about two months ago. It doesn't hurt, not even when pressed. It is slightly soft. And i have the impression that there may be fluid in it because when i push it on one side, it nery, very slightly bulges out on the other side. Other than that, he is healthy. last year he did occasionally complain that his legs hurt in the evening, but we thought it was growth pains. A heating pad helped.
He has not had leg pains for some time now. Thank you
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
The appearance of a small lump on the XXXXXXX after an injury is likely to be due to a small hematoma formation in the area. Sometimes it is associated with skin color changes too.
If the swelling is painless and there is no problem in bearing the weight on legs then there is nothing to worry. It will gradually resolve on its own without any treatment. Do not massage on the area. Just do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily to hasten the recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.