Child has low immunity. Gets cough and flu easily. Giving iron tonic. What to do?

Feb 2013

My Son has low immunity especially during winter & rainy season. He his 3 years now and doctors are saying that the immunity would increase when he his 5-6 years. We are giving him the iron tonic /syrup. He goes for playschool and quite off he gets flu & cough. For cough- At first, the doctor suggested to have nebulisation in case the cough is not manageable. Thereafter, the doctor mentioned that he has only dry cough. We stay in Bangalore. Accordingly, please advise.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 hours later
Brief Answer: take some precautions in cold and rainy season. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Children below the age of 6 years are more prone to repeated infections such as cold, cough, viral infections, and upper respiratory tract infections because of low immunity. As the age increases, they acquire immunity and resistance to these infections and the frequency of these infections will decrease after 6 years of age. Some sensitive children get frequent infections and allergies during winter and rainy seasons. As your kid is getting sick frequently during these seasons, I suggest you to take precautions to protect the child from cold weather such as covering him with full clothing, using cap, gloves and socks and avoiding the child exposure to cold air and rains. Once the child enters into play school, the frequency of respiratory and gastrointestinal infections increases because of the child exposure to other kids with infections. Nothing to worry and the frequency of infections decreases as the age increases. Encourage him to maintain hands hygiene by frequently washing with liquid soap. Avoid taking the child to crowded places. Prevent the child exposure to cold air, smoke, pollution, pets, sprays and perfumes, and known allergies. For present symptoms of cough, I advice you to continue the medication as prescribed by your Pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow-up: Child has low immunity. Gets cough and flu easily. Giving iron tonic. What to do? 20 minutes later
Thanks Mr. Venkata XXXXXXX Due to frequent flu and cough he has not been able to put on weight. Please suggest any good supplements for the same and to build up immunity.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 hours later
Brief Answer: A well balanced nutritious home made diet. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Frequent infections such as flu and cough will interfere with child appetite and oral intake and lead to slow weight gain. I suggest you to give home made diet consisting of rice, pulses, vegetables, and leafy vegetables, and fresh seasonal fruits on a routine basis to provide all nutrients and antioxidants which will build up his immunity. You can add ghee or edible oil to his feeds which will help to put on weight. In addition to the solid food you can give milk supplements such as junior Horlicks or Complan little champs (whatever the child prefers). Give all recommended vaccinations as per the advise of his pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.