Child has itchy and dark tongue. Should I consult a doctor?

Hi, My 3 year old complaint itchy tongue and was vigorously itching it for a while along with itchy back. but then she went to sleep. She ate peanut butter and prawns around an hour back. But this is not the first time she ate peanut and prawns and she never showed a problem before. Now am worried should I wake her up and rush to a doctor now or just wait.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 7 hours later

Allergic reactions need not always happen the first time only. It might take some time for immune system to mount a response and in the subsequent exposures, reactions can happen.

The reactions might be simple like itchy rashes or life threatening with coughing, breathing difficulty etc.

For any allergy, I would suggest that you get your child seen by a doctor immediately so that life threatening complications can be prevented.

Since its seven hrs past the episode now, I like to know about the present condition of your child. Please feel free to get back to us. I will be happy to help you.

For mild allergic reactions- antihistamine syrups will do.
In addition, it is better to be cautious with peanut butter and prawns next time.

Best wishes.
Dr. Sudha Shree.V