Child has hoarse voice, coughing, croup-like symptoms. Runny nose and fever after immunization. Less appetite.

My 4 month and 3 week old boy has very hoarse voice and coughs like seal. Especially lying down in cot. Symptoms like Croup.
He just had 4 month immunizations 3 days ago and since then he had runny nose and a mild fever for about 48hrs.
Immunizations: Infarix, Prevenar, Rotarix. All of which he had at 2 months old with no complications.
His 3 year old sister is at end of a 2 week mild cold.
He is not complaining, still smiling but less appetite. It's 4am here, should I be worried or wait for doctor's office to open at 9am.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Infants at 4 months of age are susceptible for a variety of viral infections that affect respiratory system. More so in winter when flu too is likely to cause serious respiratory issues.

In this case, the baby seems to have acquired a similar viral infection, may be transmitted from elder sister, may not be so. The typical description you provide similar to croup, with hoarse voice, suggest infection and inflammation of larynx. the baby seems to be suffering from viral laryngitis. Common viruses that affects larynx are like parainfluenza viruses.

Often viral laryngitis settles in a week with 1-2 days fever and loss of or altered voice for 5 days with or without stridor.

Stridor being likely to be a medical emergency, it is important to visit a doctor in emergency room at least once, at once. Some types of stridors like in acute influenza B infections may spread rapidly making the child irritable and breathless requiring oxygen. Often such stridors may be associated with danger symptoms like refusal to feeds, air hunger, excess drooling saliva.

I hope this answers your query, if so Please accept the answer. Please write back if you additional concerns.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.