Ask a Urologist   »  

Child has frequent urination and stomachache. Treated for UTI and balanitis. What this might be?

Jul 2016

Hi my five year old son started to urinate a lot around two weeks ago, sometimes a dribble a few drop or sometimes nothing but he's trying to go upto thirty times an hour and can only urinate if standing, his only other symptom is stomach ache. He's been seen by the doctor a few times and has been treated for a Uti and balanitis but still no XXXXXXX They are now sending him for an ultra sound. He's had to go back to having a nappy on as he's spending more time in the toilet than any where else, he's also missing lots of school because of it. Any idea what this might be?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your five years old son has increased frequency of urination to the extent of 30 times in an hour. I shall be happy if you provide me few more details to comment on and diagnose his problems
1) Does he have difficulty in passing urine from childhood?
2) Does he have to strain (Give Pressure) while passing Urine?
3) Does he get repeated attacks of fever?
The common causes for such problems in children at this age are
1) Presence of Posterior Urethral Valve
2) Congenital Bladder Neck Stenosis
3) Narrowing of External Urinary Opening (Pin Hole Meatus)

Following Tests are mandatory to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Routine Urine Tests to rule out secondary infection
2) Ultra Sound Scanning
3) Micturiting Cysto Urethrogram( M.C.U.)
Consult qualified Pediatric Urologist for clinical Examination and further management

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Child has frequent urination and stomachache. Treated for UTI and balanitis. What this might be? 7 hours later

Thanks for your reply, in answer to your questions, he's never suffered with anything like this before, he doesn't get repeated fevers but he is having to apply pressure when he urinates.

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Thanks for feedback.

Since he has to apply pressure to pass urine, it is likely that he has either Posterior Urethral valve or Congenital Bladder Neck Stenosis, which can be confirmed only on M.C.U and Ultra sound Scanning. Please go ahead and get it done.

Since you are U.K citizen, you will have to visit your Family Physician for appointment of N.H.S.referral centre.

Thanks with Regards.