Child has flu like symptoms, complaining about lights being bright. Any ideas?

My 3 year old daughter has had flu like symptoms for 2 days. She seemed better tonight. Now she is complaining about the lights being too bright. Any ideas It seems her fever may be back
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 14 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Photophobia associated with fever in your child - for now is a concern because you need immediate medical attention. Because causes like infections especially meningitis need to be ruled out which are common in her age group. Antibiotics for a course may be needed for this.

Apart from infections, other causes do exist with photophobia but, fever and flu symptoms suggest me of an acute infective cause as above. If not meningitis then other causes like influenza needs a check. I would not want to write a list for you lest you get jittery as to what it is.

I must also mention in here that influenza that has become more common these days, also needs immediate medical attention as much as meningitis. So, get to the ED immediately.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.