Child has fever, viral body rash and diarrhea. What is the disease called?

my 6 year old son has had runny yellow diarhhea and a viral body rash for 3 days now following a day of him having a high temperature of 40 degrees. It's not improving and he hasn't eaten for 3 days, just sips juice and probably not enough! he is very lethargic and worried about eating and drinking as he says it is making him ill! His temperature is back to normal now. What is it? and how can I help him get better? also I am worried as I have an 11 week old baby in the house
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 33 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
He is suffering from a viral gastroenteritis.
Give him lots of rehydrating fluids with probiotics and zinc suspension.
Avoid wheat, milk and fruit products.
Consult a doctor if he becomes drowsy, vomits persistently or passes bloody stool.
Isolate the little baby as the disease is spread by contaminated hands.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Child has fever, viral body rash and diarrhea. What is the disease called? 11 minutes later
can he have fresh fruit juice from fridge?as that is all he wants
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 minutes later
Fruit juice will aggravate his loose motions and may cause gastritis. Avoid such diet for some days. You can start a normal diet after he recovers fully.