Child has fever and started vomiting. What could be causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
my 3 year old daughter has thrown up lunch and dinner and has a 96.5- 97 degree temperature. She otherwise seems okay.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
Your child seems to have gastritis with vomitings.
You can give anti emetic like ondansetron or domperidone in prescribed dosage to stop vomitings.
Give sips oral rehydration solution(ORS), coconut water to prevent dehydration.
Monitor her hydration status by observing the moisture of tongue and oral cavity, her activity, skin turgor and urine output.
If the vomitings are continuing or child develops any signs of dehydration, consult the doctor.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification, please let me know.
Regards.

Follow-up: Child has fever and started vomiting. What could be causing this? 4 minutes later
Can you address the low temperature? thank you

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
In which part of the body you measured the temperature of your child?
How much time you kept the thermometer?
What is the normal temperature of your child in general?
This information is helpful to address the low temperature.
But keep giving plenty oral rehydration solutions to maintain hydration and provide warmth by covering her body with comfortable clothing.
Hope I have answered your query and please furnish the information I asked to clarify the low temperature problem of your child.
Regards.

Follow-up: Child has fever and started vomiting. What could be causing this? 11 minutes later
In which part of the body you measured the temperature of your child? EAR AND UNDER THE ARM
How much time you kept the thermometer? DIGITAL, UNTIL IT BEEPS
What is the normal temperature of your child in general? 98.5
This information is helpful to address the low temperature. WHEN DO I NEED TO BRING HER TO THE DR?
But keep giving plenty oral rehydration solutions to maintain hydration and provide warmth by covering her body with comfortable clothing. WILL DO

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
Vomitings are some times associated with autonomic instability which causes body temperature variation and once the vomitings are controlled the temperature will return to normal.
Provide appropriate warmth and measure the temperature after one hour, if the temperature is still low call your doctor.
Hope i have answered your query up to your satisfaction and kindly give me feedback if you are willing to give.
Thank you,
Regards.