Child has extra renal pelvis in kidney. US scan showed mild prominence of PCS. What is PCS and will child be affected?

Question
Doctor,
My son who is one and half yrs old have extra renal pelvis in his left kidney. Recently he got urine infection,Klebsiella oxytoca isolated in culture. colony count 1,00,000 cfu/ml. we are giving him Amikacin injection as antibiotic for 10 days, 6 days completed. According to his doctors advice we went for US scan for abdomen on 04-09- 12 . The impression given is that (Mild prominence of PCS in left kidney). Also noted Renal pe;vis AP diameter 5 mm. The Previous scan which was taken inthe month of december, shown (no sonography abnormality detected. Also Renal pelvis 4mm). Please let me know, what is this PCS and will my child will be AFFECTED due to this, what should I do further. Based on the result of US abdomen scan doctor said MCUG test should be taken. Will he suffer with urine infection in future also, what will be the preventive measure that i should take.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 38 minutes later
Hi AAAA
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Your child is suffering an important congenital anomalies of the left PCS.
PCS is the ductal system that collects the urine made by the kidney to the bladder.
It stands for Pyelocalyceal System.
Your child has got recurrent Klebsiella is as such resistant to Amikacin or even if sensitive initially would develop resistance soon if the drug is used alone.
I would suggest to add inj. Zosyn in appropriate doses 6houry to treat him for next 7days, extend Amikacin till then.
Your child needs repeated evaluation by imaging and if the problem is increasing or UTI more frequent then your Urosurgeon might decide a surgical intervention at appropriate stage.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Child has extra renal pelvis in kidney. US scan showed mild prominence of PCS. What is PCS and will child be affected? 13 minutes later
Does MCUG test will help in analysing anything related to his abnormalities?
To which consultant can I show my child? Currently I am consulting only with Paedriatician. Will a Nephrologists can treat my childs condition. Please let me know. What consequences will happen because of this abnormality.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 minutes later
Hi AAAAA
MCUG is micturating cystourethrogram which can assess the dynamics of urine flow and the impact of anomaly on function of PCS.
The Urologist(the urinary surgeon, MCh. Urology) is the best person to consult with partly opinions of Pedia and Nephrology.
It is a serious disease and may lead to sepsis-the life threatening infections and probably a surgical correction.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Child has extra renal pelvis in kidney. US scan showed mild prominence of PCS. What is PCS and will child be affected? 10 minutes later
Last query, What kind of medical evaluation needed frequently for his condition.
Thank you, for answering my questions.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Hi AAAAA
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The investigations on follow up are typical imaging one- USG Abdomen, if Surgeon decides for surgery then he may like CT Abdomen to be done.
Another investigations as required would be CBC and Urine routine and culture.
Now I know the case of your child, you can ask a follow-up or specialist query in my name. I would be happy to help you through.
So obviously no need for last query.
This is the time to put a Review for me, How did you felt overall about my Clinical assistance, just take a moment to express it!
Please support me in your acquaintance, recommend me to your circle if you think it is worth.
I would love it to get questions directly referred to me.
All the best to you and your child.
Wish you a great health!