Child has cold and ear infection, fever, spots on neck. Are these symptoms related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i have a 10 month old that has had a cold with ear infection for a couple of weeks now. we have finished the antibiotic for the ear infection so hopefully that is gone but the cough and snottyness still linger along with a new fever. I have been noticing a couple spots around his neck that look like small hickeys or like the skin may have been pinched. they are some red dots that have a very thin vein like line coming off of them. are these symtoms related and should i even be concerned about the spots?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

From your description, the lesions on your son's skin are likely to be spider naevus. I will be able to understand the problem better if you can send me a good picture of the affected region.

Spider angiomata might appear normally in children and these improve on their own without any specific treatment. The appearance of these lesions might be related with the systemic antibiotics he has taken recently.

If there is no associated itching or skin color changes or any spread of the lesions, then there is nothing to be worried about.

In case any of the above mentioned ominous symptoms appear then consulting a dermatologist will be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. Do upload a good quality picture of the affected region using the upload feature available in this webpage. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.