Child has cold and cough in winter. Diagnosed with allergic problem. Safe to give telekast-l-kid?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have five years old daughter. She suffers cough and cold in every 15-20 days especially in winter. As per doctor my daughter had allergic problem. Doctor advice her to take TELEKAST-L-KID for 6 months.

Please advice taking TELEKAST-L-KID is safe for taking 6 months ?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 1 hour later
You have written that your kid who is 5 years old suffers from recurrent cough and cold problem very often.
Well this could be an allergic problem of respiratory tract or due to decrease immunity, she may be getting frequent viral / bacterial infections.Few thing you can do as follows.
1- See that she is vaccinated fully for her age as per UIP recommendations including receiving a vaccine for Pneumococcal Pneumonia.
2-Give her balanced diet which includes all essential minerals ,vitamins and protein with carbohydrates.
3-Keep her protected from pollution and other allergic substances.
4-If required investigations like Echocardiogram should be done to rule out Congenital heart disease.
Medicines containing Montelukast and levocetrizine ( which is present in TELEKAST L) can be given safely initially for 1-2 months and then can be reviewed as per response.
I hope this helps