Child has chronic cough and getting acid in mouth. Taking different medicine. Related to LPR or GERD?

My son who is now 12 Has has a chronic cough/throat clearing problem for 3 years. He descibes his throat feels like "something is stck in there" He coughs roughly every 10-20 seconds in all waking hours. I know based on dentist testing he has an extremely high level of acid in his mouth, and has had dental issues for years. We first went to the Dr. 3 years ago and he was put on medication for post nasal drip and OTC allergy meds. These did not help we were referred to allergist and determined the only thing he was allergic to is grass. We went back to the Dr who tried inhailers thinking he may have cough varient asthma.... again no luck. Most recently we went back and he is now on 6 different meds still allergy meds, meds to treat post nasal drip, steroid inhailer, steroid pill, acid reflux meds, still coughing. we have now been referred to pulomonary specialist his appt is next week. My questions are what could be causing these symptoms? GERD? LPR? could he have something stuck in his throat? If all the meds we have tried have not helped is there treatment?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

LPR is the likely cause.
Upper GI endoscopy and 24 hours pH monitoring test may be done for evaluation.

What acid reflux medication is he taking?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini