Child has been advised casein-free milk substitute. What are the options available in India?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
My son is about 4 years old. He has been advised to be given casein-free milk substitute. What are the options available. We are currently using ZEROLAC.Is it casein-free.Can you please suggest some other alternative products available in India ?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Some of the “milks” that we recommend as casein free milk substitutes are: almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, and rice milk.
Yes , zerolac casein free powder is one such milk substitute .
If its going well with your child you can continue it.
Some other brands available are Nusobee soy , Isomil , Prosobee etc
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing your child good health.

Follow-up: Child has been advised casein-free milk substitute. What are the options available in India? 38 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.
I just wanted one more clarification whether Soy Milk or any of the brand names that you suggested (Nusobee Soy, Isomil, Prosobee ) were both Gluten & Casein free ?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Gluten is a wheat protein and unlikely to be present in soy or rice milk substitutes
However soy milk to be gluten free it can't have any added barley or malt. Unfortunately the inclusion of these two ingredients makes soy milk taste a little nicer.
Yes i do think Enfamil Prosobee and similac Isomil are also gluten free as they use corn solids as carbohydrate which does not have any gluten .
However Its best to check out the labels thoroughly for any barley or malt additives . If such words aren't mentioned then they can be considered. GFCF milk.
Another such milk is Superfit natural soy milk Powder( however I don't know much about it's availability ).
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you all the best and good health.

Follow-up: Child has been advised casein-free milk substitute. What are the options available in India? 10 hours later

Thanks doctor.
1. Is the common daal (eaten with rice) gluten free ?
2. Is it okay to give eatables with sugar content to the child as per GFCF diet ?

Regards.

Thanks for the follow up.
Answer 1. No dal ( tur dal / lentils ) does not contain and can be given with rice to the child .
Answer 2.White sugar, brown sugar, most syrups, honey and molasses are safe sweeteners for GfCF diet .Check product labels for malt or malt flavoring; malt may contain gluten. Commercial candies can contain gluten, so always check labels for safety. Such items are best avoid if you're not certain of what's in them.

Hope I have answered your query.