Child has bay foot problem, using splint. Does baby need operation? Any other way to treat it?

bay foot problem , my baby is 20 month but still doesnt put his down on the floor , we try with splint and differnt streches but it doesnt efect that much , he put his left feet down but not righ feet , dr. says he has some tight calf or muscle , his leg is not short than other leg . i m confuse d , he can stand with two feed put on the floor but he can stay stright means he stay bit band from leg wne he put his both feet down , dr,. says if not efect from wearing splint and than they conduct operation and replace or add tissue on , do u think baby need operation at age of 20 month and any other technology without operation we can get result , if we would do operation than baby can live normal life during whole life ,
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later
Dear AAAA,

Thank you for posting your query. From the way the doctors have put forward their advice, it appears that there is some inequality between the legs, though it may not be readily apparent to a lay person (like you, for example). The doctors have probably ruled out (excluded) all neurological causes other than the tight tendon at the back of the leg on opne side. The operation will involve releasing that tight tendon or muscle as the case may be, and after a period of observation and plastering lasting 2-3 months, your son should become completely normal.

However, I think you should rely on the doctor and continue using the splint till he decides whether it has been helpful or not. Do not try to rush into a surgery. It may be that he may get cured with just splinting.

I cannot think of any third way to solve the problem, sorry.

With best wishes and warm regards for your child,

Dr. Taher