Child has -3 powers for both eyes. Will it be cured? What precaution should be taken?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 5.6 yrs and last couple of day his eyes are red so we consulted a doctor and she
asked my son to read out the board with alphabets. He struggled in reading out the last 3rd lines then she asked for eye test using a machine. In machine reading the power came to cylindrical power -3 in both the eyes.

Please let me know
1. if this can be cured
2. what all precaution need to be taken.
3. Is the power increases as he grow ( like -3 to -4 and so on)
4. What could be the reason.
5. Is it curable... when i asked my doc. She said NO. Please let me know your opinion.

He does not have bad medical history.
During childhood (2-4 yrs), he was allergic to cold and cough so we consulted a doctor and he is under the medication since last 12 month taking nasal spray - Flomist, Montak 4 Mg and allegra.

Please suggest as we are very much worried.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Welcome o XXXXXXX

One question in the beginning.
Do the parents have myopia or early use of eye glasses during teenage years?( minus power)

The child has myopia and astigmatism.
He has to use glasses.
When he grows older he can use contact lenses.
Myopia has a tendency to increase as the child grows.
The power will increase from minus 3 to minus 4 and more gradually over a period of time.
Do not worry!
There are some advancements in medicine .
When the power goes above a particular level, he can use contact lenses to avoid thick glasses.
Lasik ( laser treatment ) is possible later if necessary.

The cause of this problem is abnormally long eyeballs and the image falling ahead of the retina in the eye. This is an inborn condition. -Happens in about10% of children of 5-6 years age group.

What you can do is
Use good light when he studies
Frequent rest during prolonged --study periods
Good nutrition and balanced diet
Encourage physical activity.
Have regular follow up with the eye doctor.

Reg the other problem of cold he seems to be on steroid nose spray and monteleukast. Check with your doctor whether you can wean from them atleast the nasal spray!( because prolonged steroid use anywhere is not good!)
All the best
God bless
Dr Uma