Child had strep throat with fever. Treated with amoxicillin and giving tylenol. Has sensitivity to light. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I am worried about my two year old. He had strep throat three weeks ago and got better with medication. Now he is sick again with the same symptoms and strep test came back negative. He is already being treated with amoxicillin as the doctor started him on it before the results. He does not seem to be getting better as quickly as the last time and it has been four full days of taking medication. He has sensitivity to light and he says his cheeks hurt...his mouth. He has had a fever and I have also been giving him Tylenol. The first time he was treated he did not have a culture, she just saw white spots on his throat. Is he being treated correctly? He is so sickly.
He also sound horrible as he speaks worse and it seems to be his throate, not his nose... Or his mouth. He is not eating well and looks discolored
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

He is being treated correctly as per his symptoms of throat infection.

I advise you to continue the medication as advised by the pediatrician.

Response to an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin may take 3 to 5 days.

You can give Tylenol in prescribed dose for fever and pain of cheek and mouth.
Give him soft, bland diet.

Give plenty of oral fluids to maintain hydration.

Sickness and fever still persists I advise you to consult again your pediatrician for re examination of the child and for blood and urine investigations if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child had strep throat with fever. Treated with amoxicillin and giving tylenol. Has sensitivity to light. Treatment? 21 hours later
Well, we ended up taking him into the clinic today and his throat was very swollen...so this advice was not helpful. He was given prednisone to get the swelling down and is taking a stronger antibiotic. His swollen throat was making his voice sound weird and hurt him so he could not eat. He wasn't getting better on the treatment prescribed on Monday.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

I am sorry to hear about your child health condition and reexamination is required whenever there is no improvement in symptoms.

Was he admitted into hospital?

What is the opinion of his treating Pediatrician?

Follow the Pediatrician advise and if you have any concerns please discuss.

And I wish your son a speedy recovery from illness.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child had strep throat with fever. Treated with amoxicillin and giving tylenol. Has sensitivity to light. Treatment? 19 hours later
He has hand door and mouth disease...after another follow up with an on call pediatrician. Just need to take a child in if not getting better as online advice did not really tell me anything or help my child. That is why he sounded odd when talking and complained that his mouth hurt. Poor kid.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

It is Hand-Foot-Mouth disease. It usually presents with skin lesions on hands and feet with ulceration in the mouth and throat.

Yes online advise does not equate with direct physical examination by a Doctor.
Thank you for your feedback.

Wish your kid a speedy recovery.

Regards.