Child had febrile seizure. Done with EEG test. What does the finding mean and could I contact a child development specialist?

Nov 2013

This is for my daughter XXXXXXX Zaara, aged 2 years 6 months, weighing 11.5 kgs, height 82 cms.

She had an episode of febrile seizue 7 months back, and her EEG report inference is as follows
"Background in occipital region in sleep consists of 3-4 hz activity in occipital regions.
Sleep-vertex sharps and synchronous spindles seen.\Frequent 1 hz slow waves are seen over Rt occipital region.
Impression: PS : no change.
Imp: Mild abnormality-Rt.Occipital dysrhythmia.
She talks only couple of meaningful words, and has not started reacting to simplem commands like come, walk etc.
But she likes being with other kids, babbles, and surprisingly is an expert in playing and operating iPad.
We are really worried about her development, and are planning to see a child development specialist next week.
Please advise us on the findings in EEG and its significance on the child's development.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to point out that the EEG abnormalities mentioned in your daughter's case are minor and they do not represent any serious brain disease.
These abnormalities can sometimes occur in case of seizures (fits) and sometimes can suggest minor brain disease, such as lack of blood supply or oxygen to brain, which happened at the time of delivery. A brain MRI scan would help in confirming the diagnosis.

As of now, she needs to follow physiotherapy and speech therapy. Please keep me informed about the progress of the child.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: