Child had cut from thorns on cheek. What cream to use that it does not leave a scar?

General Surgeon
My daughter is 2. She walked past a bush with thorns just now which left a,10cm cut in her cheek. What cream, treatment, ointment should we use to ensure that it does not leave a scar or XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

It all depends of how deep is this wound. If this is only a scratch (and no stitches are necessary) it will get healed without scar at all.
If this wound is a deep cut, so the edges of the wound are not sticking together, some stitches are necessary. In such case, there will be some scar. How visible this scar will be, depends of some factors. This factors are:
- stitches (if this wound is a deep one and there will be no stitches applied, the scar will be visible)
- possible infection (keeping the wound clean will make the scar less visible)
- location of the cut (if the skin is tensed in this area, the scar will be more visible)

In the beginning of the healing process, there is no need to apply any cream or ointment. Just keep it clean and dry. The best and simplest way to do that is water and soap (it sounds simple but believe me, it is really effective).

When the scar will be created (in about 3 weeks), you may start applying scar gel (Mederma for example). This gel should be applied regularly for few months to give an effect.

I can give you more exact information about stitches need, if you could attach a photo if this wound. Just note that stitches can be applied not later than 24 hours after the cut.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.