Child got rash on earlobe after piercing. No swelling or pain. Putting hydrocortisone. Suggest

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
My 6 year old daughter got her ears pierced yesterday and a rash appeared behind her ear last night but this morning the rash was almost gone. Now the rash has returned and the rash is behind the ear, in front of the ear, going down below her ear but toward her face, and on her earlobe. The earring is 14k gold and the rash is only on and around her left ear. Her ears are not swollen, red, painful, or draining. Should I remove the earrings or is there something I can do so she can keep her earrings? I have been putting hydrocortisone cream on the rash (everywhere put the piercing site).
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 52 minutes later
Hi welcome to XXXXXXX
From what you describe it looks like allergic reaction to the antiseptic or alcohol whatever thy used before piercing the ear.
Of course it is strange that it is on one side only!

You can give her some antihistamine syrup like levocetrizine for 2 days and see whether there is improvement with hydocortisone.
No need to remove the ear rings as of now.

If no improvement show her to a doctor .
Thee is strangely allergy to gold also!!!!

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child got rash on earlobe after piercing. No swelling or pain. Putting hydrocortisone. Suggest 37 minutes later
Since my initial question, her earlobe had became extremely red and slightly swollen and painful. Should I still keep the earrings in and try the medication you advised?

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
No, I don't think so.
Go to the pediatrician nearby and let them have a check.
The allergic reaction should show some improvement with cetrizine .
If redness increases at the site it means some infection. In this case may be she will need some antibiotics and removal of the ear rings .( If the ear rings are removable type,remove them,so that even better observation,application of medicine etc are possible.
By the way where was piercing done and what was used to clean and poke the ears?
Hope it was done hygienically.
Good luck
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child got rash on earlobe after piercing. No swelling or pain. Putting hydrocortisone. Suggest 3 hours later
I had them pierced at a local ear piercing place. They used what appeared to be an alcohol pad to clean the ears and also a piercing gun that used the earring itself to pierce the ears.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
OK,
If by tomorrow morning she does not improve,you better remove the ear ring and go to the doctor for antibiotics.
Today being Sunday may be you will not find a doctor.
You give her 10 ml crocin syrup and levocet syrup 5 ml till you reach the doctor.
Good luck
Dr Uma