Child got cut on heel. Started swelling and small pus patch formed. Should I go for emergency room?

My childs heel has a cut on it which is mostly closed over. It looks like it might have some blackish dirt or something in it. It is a bit swollen and a small pus patch has formed. We tried soaking her foot to wash it out and tried to prick the ous area with not much luck. A red line is travelling up to her ankle. Should I take her to the ED tonight or can it wait till morning for a Doctor appointment?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

Hello. I am Dr. Taher, a pediatrician. Thank you for addressing your query on this forum. I think your child has developed a local infection that is now gradually spreading upwards in the form of a subcutaneous streak. It may be enlarged and inflamed lymphatics that are causing the appearance of the red line. You should take her to the ED today itself as she may need a course of antibiotics. If the area on the heel needs dressing and cleaning, that, too, could be attended to if you went today.

I guess this will resolve the problem to your satisfaction. By no means should you do things like pricking the pus area on your own.

-Best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Dr. Taher