Child getting red blotchy rash on cheeks and arms when out in the sun. Any treatment?

Jul 2012

My son gets a red blotchy rash on his cheecks and arms when he is out in the sun.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the image.

This is most likely nothing to worry about! To begin with, please use a good quality sun screen that is to be applied at least 20 minutes before stepping out into the sun in the prescribed quantity as per surface area & reapply each 3-4 hrs at least & if washed off, increased sweating or visit to the pool. The SPF (sun protection factor) will depend on your skin type but an SPF of 50 should suffice & there are good quality sunscreens all over the world.

Personally I recommend the quality of the kids & other sunscreens' from a French manufacturer named BIODERMA. If this still does not help & this problem persists, & /or there is a strong family history of some sort of 'photosensitive' disorder (for eg. porphyria or any other such familial disorder), then please do visit your local dermatologist!

Do hope this has helped allay your anxiety & pointed you in the right directions & if no queries, please do accept my answer. Often I find we dwell too much on the 'rare' entities. This may be a simple matter & let's first address it as such. Cheers & here's wishing the bonny lad the very best!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore.