Child getting brown colored stinky stools. Stool test done. What are the findings and treatment required?

Hello Doctor,

My 4 and a half month old son has XXXXXXX coloured stinky stools. This has been there since a month. I was advised by a paediatrician on healthcare magic to get Stool Routine Test done. Please find the reports attached. Kindly advise if there's any infection that requires treatment.

A few additional questions...
We have started giving him fruit puree - apple/banana 2 times a day. He seems to take them well. But gets thirsty soon after.
Is it ok to give 30-60ml of milk (as much as he demands) after the solid feed? Or is water allowed?

While preparing fruit puree, is it fine to add a little packet cow's milk? Or is it strictly not allowed? As of now, he's on Nan Pro 1 infant milk since I have stopped lactating.

Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 17 hours later
Hello, thanks for writing to us, went through your query in detail.

The stool routine and the stool culture tests taken together and assessed, shows that your baby is having infection and requires treatment for the same.

Regarding the treatment, it’s better to show the reports to your regular pediatrician to decide upon the dose and the medicines.

The medicines, which are showing sensitivity pattern in the stool culture tests, are the appropriate ones.

The stool culture report test, which you have attached, is incompletely scanned; I am not able to see the drug names in the attached file, which is showing the sensitivity pattern.

Now coming to your next set of queries-

1 . For his thirst, it is okay to give him milk as much as he demands. After feeding him, burp him well before putting him back to sleep.
Avoid giving him water or cows packed milk as it can aggravate his loose stools.

2. Nan pro 1 is ideal if you have stopped lactating.

Avoid bottle feeds, as it can be a source of infection; instead use steel palladay to feed the child with milk-nanpro1.

Or keep a set of 3 to 4 high quality plastic feeding bottles , sterilize each part in boiling water properly after each use to avoid frequent infections which can cause loose stools, middle ear infections, pneumonia and sepsis.

Sterilize your hands with hand sanitizer before you start feeding your child so as to reduce the rate of transmission of infections.

Hope I have cleared your queries, for further queries feel free to ask us, thank you, regards.