Child fell , had broken ulna. Was put in cast. Have pink fingers, not swollen or cold. Is it compartment syndrome?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My daughter (age six) had closed reduction of a broken ulna and radius late Thursday night. She fell doing a cartwheel on the balance beam at gymnastics. She was put in a cast after the Dr. Reset her bones. This was done at Nemoirs DuPont. Her cast goes past her elbow. Her fingers are pink and not swollen or cold, but before she fell asleep tonight she told me her arm feels "refreshing XXXXXXX I elevated it and she said it felt better and went to sleep. Now I am googling and have myself convinced she has compartment syndrome. She can still move her covers perfectly. Does this mean she is ok?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

As she has no swelling over fingers, fingers are pink and she can move her fingers without pain, there is no any compartment syndrome.

Do not worry, she is OK.
Continue limb elevation and active finger movement.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon