Child feeling pain in testicle and difficulty to walk. Is this the sign of puberty?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My son, 12 years old, has had severe pain in his left testicle which looks twice the size of his right and almost has a bruised look. He said it hurt to walk yesterday. Is this typical of puberty? Can one testicle change at a different time to the other? He hasn't had any real signs of puberty in this area so far.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 45 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

If the problem is of recent origin, say in the past few hours, then it is an emergency and your son needs to be taken to the emergency room immediately. Increase in size of the testicle and bruised look can be suggestive of torsion of the testis which needs immediate medical attention. This has nothing to do with puberty if it is of recent origin.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Child feeling pain in testicle and difficulty to walk. Is this the sign of puberty? 11 hours later
Swelling of testicle is better today but still swollen and red looking. He complained of this problem a few days ago. Wha texactly is torsion of the testis? Is a related to a blood flow problem?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 44 minutes later

Thank you for updating.

Though the swelling may be better but I would recommend that you show him to the emergency doctor who would assess him and advise the needful.

Torsion of the testis is the vertical rotation on its axis which compromises the blood flow. It is a surgical emergency and the testis needs to be salvaged at the earliest.

As you mentioned that the testicle appears better then it could be epididymo-orchitis which is inflammation and infection of the testis and its connecting tubes. This, too, needs to be treated energetically with antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medicines and scrotal support.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

RKK