Child experiencing vomiting and stomach pain. Prescribed mucane gel, ondem and lanzol junior. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 2 year old son is experiencing vomiting(2 episodes after eating since yesterday) and stomach pain which he can tell by pointing..doctor prescribed mucane gel, ondem and tab lanzol junior.i wish to know the uses of lanzol and also do we need to give him an antibiotic for stomach viral.

Thanks
XXXXXXX XXXXX

Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having gastritis mostly due to a virus.

Lanzol contains lansoprazole which is a proton pump inhibitor. It decreases the acid secretion in the stomach, thus causing decreased gastric irritation due gastritis and acidity.

I advise you to continue the medication as prescribed by the doctor.

Antibiotic is not required as it works for bacterial infections only.

At present, the pain in stomach and vomitings are looking like gastritis mostly due to a virus.

Antibiotic is not needed in viral infections and gastritis requires symptomatic treatment with lanzole junior, mucaine gel, and ondem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child experiencing vomiting and stomach pain. Prescribed mucane gel, ondem and lanzol junior. Suggestion? 7 minutes later
What should be the diet of the child in this condition..
I am serving him khichdi, apples , dal..can he have curd and what about milk portion.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

You can serve him with soft diet like khichidi, dal rice without spices, and curd rice.

Milk can be given.

Boiled and cooled milk is better, as it will be easily tolerated by the child during the period of vomitings.

Avoid outside, junk, and fried food.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.

Wish your son speedy recovery.

Regards.