Child done MRI for headache, shows prominence of ventricles. What does it mean?

Nov 2013

Hi there,
My 11 yr old son has just had a magnetic resonance exam of his head due to headaches. The exam revealed what I believe is: "mild prominence of ventricles" - as we are in Brazil and it's all in Portuguese i cannot be quite sure, any ideas as to what it means? I have google translated
the whole paragraph, perhpas this will notmake sense but here it is:

discrete foci with T2 hyperintense signal and Flair, no signs of restriction on broadcasting, white substance situated in the left frontal lobe and posterior segment adjacent to the atrium and the ventricle this side, looking somewhat specific, noting even mild prominence of this ventricular segment.
I'd like to know if you have any idea as to what this means.

Thank you very much!
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare Magic.
I understand that this MRI of brain was done, as your son had been suffering from headaches.
First of all, I want to reassure you that "mild prominence of ventricles" is a non-specifcic minor finding, and it does not indicate any serious neurological problem.
This finding just means that the amount of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF- normal fluid in the brain), which is located in ventricles of brain, is slightly more than normal, also seen in some normal people.
If the ventricles become more prominent, then referred to as "dilated ventricles", then it could be a disease called hydrocephalus (where there is excess CSF in the ventricles), and that needs to be treated.
As of now, you need to consult your doctor to establish the cause of headaches, which most likely could be migraine or something unrelated to MRI brain findings.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad