Child diagnosed with kidney stones, on Potrate. Routine urine done. Next step?

My daughter is five years old, 17 kg wt. she has been detected 3.5 mm right kidney stone on complaint of sever pain. Now the urine routine report has indicated RBC- 70 -80/ HPF, WBC- 2-3/HPF, Pus cells 10-12/HPF, Albumin 30 mg/DLC.
Urine color is slightly reddish/grayish.
She is taking POTRATE 5 ml twice. Pl advice next.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,

Your daughter is 5 yrs old, 17 kg in weight and she suffered severe pain in the Right kidney area and found that she is having a kidney stone sized 3.5 mm
Her urine analysis reveals that
RBC: 70 to 80 / HPF, WBC: 2 to 3 / HPF, Pus cells: 10 to 12 / HPF and Albumin: 30 mg / DLC.

This results show that she is having Urine Culture and Sensitivity to assess the what type of organisms are there and which antibiotic is more effective.
2)     Routine Blood tests like TLC, DLC, ESR, Hb%, Serum Calcium and Uric acid, Blood urea + Serum creatinine + (Mx test if advised)
3)     Plain X-Ray KUB area – if not done
4)     USG – KUB area – if not done

With all results in hand, treating her with appropriate Antibiotic, Urine alkalizing drugs, she will be relieved of any infection, if present.

Regarding the stone, plan her diet after consultation with a urologist(including foods to be avoided), give her lots of fluids. Management depends on the size and type of stone. Usually the stones are of two types: calcium and uric acid. It may include forced diuresis (a technique which makes the stone to pass down). Medical management may include medicines like Cystone, Xyloric, etc.

I hope with this measure the stone will descend and pass via natural.

With all my best wishes and prayers
Dr. S. Jegadeesan