Child diabetic type 1, taking insulin. Is there any other treatment & how can we control him from sweets?

Question
My son is 4 yrs old and he has been treating for type 1 diabetic since Dec2011.
He is taking insulin every day. Is there any other treatment to stop insulin injection or what are the new developments in this area. Being a 4yrs boy, it is bit difficult to control him from sweets,cakes, etc . Pl advice
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 19 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern.
Your child will have to be on insulin atleast for the next few years. There are a few other options like stem cell therapy and islet cell transplantation which are not very successful apart from being very expensive.
However, insulin delivery techniques have been greatly refined to allow flexibility and ease in a diabetic patient. You can use insulin pen devices if you are not using them yet. Ultrafine BD 3 needle is a very fine needle which has been recently launched. This causes very less pain during injection. For motivated parents, there are insulin pumps also, but again they are bit expensive.
I understand that it is a bit difficult to control from sweets in a child. You can use sugar free substitutes while preparing them but don’t forget to give additional bolus dose while consuming them. There are some bakeries which prepare sugar free sweets.
Even these sweets contain calories and there should be some limitation on the amount consumed.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow up queries.