Child developed small warts at the back of knees and hands, blisters peeling of feet, tried antifungal spray

My 9 year old son has recently developed small warts to the backs of his knees and hands, as well as blisters/peeling of the feet. We have attempted to use an antifungal spray to his feet, but it doeant appear to be helping. Fungal, bacterial, viral?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be fungal or bacterial

Detailed Answer:
thanks for writing to us.
The peeling could be of fungal or bacterial or eczematous in origin.

if its fungal- scaling with peeling can be present with itching. Nail involvement and web spaces may be involved

if its bacterial then peeling should be preceded by pus filled red lesions

it could be eczematous- peeling may be preceded by extremely itchy pin point fluid filled lesions.

I would advise you to upload good resolution images of the affected areas as it would help me in making diagnosis. Similarly the lesion on back of knee could be warts or tags or moles etc. Please attach images of those lesions too.

all the above mentioned skin concerns are treatable

Fungal infection would require antifungals like clotrimazole and fluconazole

Bacterial infection would require antibiotic creams like mupirocin along with steroid creams to reduce peeling

Eczema would require steroids

Waiting to see the uploaded lesions.

Follow-up: Child developed small warts at the back of knees and hands, blisters peeling of feet, tried antifungal spray 20 hours later
How do I upload photos for you to view?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
You may upload the images by clicking on upload report/ image icon which is on right side of query page or you may send the images to YYYY@YYYY . please mention ATTN: Dr kalpana pathak in subject line.
waiting to see the uploaded images.
Follow-up: Child developed small warts at the back of knees and hands, blisters peeling of feet, tried antifungal spray 7 hours later
I can't seem to find a place to upload, possibly due to being on my mobile device. My son was sick about two weeks ago with fever and red papules to his hands and feet as well as throat and roof of mouth. He is now vomiting with diarrhea and is very pale. This came on suddenly. I am concerned about his immune system with the skin issues he is also having. He has an appointment tomorrow, but I am wondering if this is cause enough for me to ask for lab to be drawn on him.
Just had an ER visit for severe vomiting and diarrhea. Electrolytes were normal. WBC was 18.6, neut. 94, lymph 3, mono 3, absolute neut. 17.5, absolute lymph 0.5. Chest X-ray normal, UA clean, couldn't locate his appendix on sonogram. They sent us home after a bag of fluids and IV Zofran. No answers for skin lesions. No answers period, except for the WBC was pretty high, but it must be viral. I am not very educated with WBC count and neutrophil vs lymphocyte count, but looking at his it seems like something other than a viral infection. We still have an appt in the morning. Any advice for the appt would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
These do not seem to be related to skin issue

Detailed Answer:
These features of vomiting diarrhoea do not seem to be related to your skin condition.

A raised WBC points towards an infection. Raised neutrophil count predicts that the infection is of recent or acute onset while raised lymphocyte count says it is chronic in nature.
As your child's WBC and neutrophil is high, it could be due to diarrhoea vomiting etc or due to fever in past. So you need not worry about same as the levels would come to normal in some time after symptoms resolve.
Peeling over feet could also be due to presence of any preceding lesions. As you said, that he had fever with red bumps. So if bumps were present on feet, these coud have healed with peeling.
Hope that helped.