Child developed itchy rashes all over body. How to get rid of it?

Hello. My four and a half year old is developing a rash that itches and hurts. I have teken her to the doctor twice but they do nto seem to have the time or the knowledge to help much and right away. The rash was at first a bunch of little whitish bumps that would itch and open easily and be scabby on her legs. They went up her body and how she has mass areas of irregular circled, slightly raised and whitish in color with red surrounding area, and itching. I beloieve I paid enough money recenlty to have thiis question answered. I was told I could ask as many questions as I wanted for thirty days, so here I am. I am back and need some answers from people who know something about this. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I will be glad to be of assistance and I will try my best to answer your queries until you get a satisfactory answer. However I would like to request you to take a photograph of the lesions and post them here so that I can have a look and opine regarding them. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.
If you are not able to upload, you may also send it to YYYY@YYYY , with subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Kruti'.

Awaiting your response...

Follow-up: Child developed itchy rashes all over body. How to get rid of it? 17 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Season's Greetings to you. Thank you for the response. I love the service here and will keep using it. I am pleased with the helpful attitude and wisdom here, much different than some. Well, anyway, my daughter's rash has diminished within two days of the most outrageous outbreak from developing the little almost bug bite like itchy/painful bumps to now a lacy red rash where the huge whelps were. Now, I cannot see them, but I feel like something is lingering in her. You see doctor, back in Nov. 2011 she got a Hep A shot (much to my disaproval, but I did it as doctors pushed it) and she got hematoma, peed her pants for five days afterward with foul smelling urine, and her leg turned purple and rash broke out everywhere. They said "fifth disease" but I think if anything it was from that virus they put in her that caused it. So, anyhoo, she has had wierd rashes ever since, and now, this is a major outbreak and I really feel sorry for her. Can you look at these. I took these yesterday, and the raised spots look like raised skin, they were like cauliflower shaped. I took her to a doctor and she said that she was not concerned about the legs thing, but the thing on her back because the rash on her side was on her back and was chaning in front of our eyes. She said allergic reaction but I KNOW it is somethin else, I am pretty sure or maybe I need more info. I told the doctor i brought her in about her legs having a wierd bumpy rash going up her body and that this "allergic" reaction was probably to do with the leg thing, they are all happening at the same time, so of course.....i am a careful mom and I pay attention and they are connected...somehow.. I feel it. So, doctor finally looked closely at bumps said it was just a "virus" and has to run its does that answe4r anything? It could be meningitis, it could hbe a serious virus, so, I tried to find out but not much help there at the medical clinic, I really want to move out of US because I keep seeing things here medically I do not like, but i am grateful for any help anytime :) Thank you, that's the history. Peace.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I am happy to help you and will be glad to answer all your queries till you get a satisfactory answer.

I reviewed the pictures.

The pictures showing the red rash were comparatively clear however the pictures showing the bumps were a bit blurred.

Hence I would request you to send the pictures of the bumps again.

The red raised rash is hives.

We also call it urticaria.

There are many causes to urticaria and its not always possible to pinpoint the cause.

It could be food, medications, clothing, dust, pollen, animal dander anything.

We advise allergy tests but only if the rash go on for a couple of months and do not respond to treatment.

The ideal treatment would be an antihistaminic syrup daily.

It should be taken for a month continuously.

Syrup hydroxyzine would be ideal.

Also you gave a history of peeing in pants and foul smelling urine. If it was a urinary tract infection it could have trigerred urticaria.

I would recommend that you start the treatment as soon as possible.

Please let me know all the concerns that you may have.

Follow-up: Child developed itchy rashes all over body. How to get rid of it? 11 hours later
Dr. That is interesting you say that as right before this rash got out of control, she complained of her private hurting and then pain in the middle of the lower abdomen. I felt myself like it might have been that. They took a specimen from her and said it would culture in a few days. I wonder what the results of that were. Checking for a UTI only takes a moment, and I wonder why the sending out of it? The upper abdomen issues are gone, but the little bumps are still itchy and the tops of her feet were rashy this morning in the bath.

I am including some more photos taken this morning, Dec 2, a day after the other ones were taken. The picture is not great and I apologize, but isn't it interesting that this rash will not go away, it seems to just flare up then die down and then flare up somewhere else.

This is my family, nd this is the little girl you have helped. Thank you, and please keep up the superb job, critically thinking and being an agent of change! :) Changing times we are in, that's for sure.:)
Answered by Dr. Kruti 7 hours later

Thanks a lot for replying.

You have very cute children.

I am glad you found my recommendations useful.

I reviewed the pictures, but I am sorry they are blurred.

I would advise you to give her an antihistaminic for the rash.

Urticaria is characterised by the rash which comes and goes, its recurrent.

It is controlled with an antihistaminic.
But if the cause is treated, it does resolve. If its found that she has the urinary tract infection is treated.

Follow-up: Child developed itchy rashes all over body. How to get rid of it? 9 hours later
Thank you. Sorry about the pictures. I will remember urticaria, and the urinary tract infection possible connection. Thank you a lot. Have a great day!
Answered by Dr. Kruti 7 hours later
You are welcome.