Child complaining of stomach pain and then vomiting foamy saliva. Feels better after vomiting. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Child 6 years old complaining on stomach pain and then vomiting a little bit of foamy saliva and then clear liquid. Says feels better after vomiting. What is can be
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having gastric irritation from gastritis, due to which he is having stomach pain and vomiting.

For the control of vomitings, you can give drug like ondansetron in prescribed dose.

For stomach pain, lansoprazole will help to decrease the gastric irritation by reducing the secretion of gastric acid.

But physical examination including abdomen is necessary to look for any other causes of vomitings.

If the vomitings are persistent, there is chance of getting dehydration due to loss of water and electrolytes in the vomitus.

So give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte and lemonade to maintain the hydration of the child.

Monitor his hydration status by activity, urine output, and skin turgor.

Consult the pediatrician for the physical examination of the child and for the prescription of medication for his symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child complaining of stomach pain and then vomiting foamy saliva. Feels better after vomiting. Suggest? 10 minutes later
Can it be an abdominal migraine?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Abdominal migraine also presents with stomach pain with or without any associated vomitings or headache.

But it presents with a typical recurrent episodes of pain abdomen associated with irritability, sensitivity to light, and usually there will be a positive family history of migraine.

And the child will prefer to lie in a dark room and sleep.

But before coming to a conclusion of abdominal migraine, the other common organic causes of stomach pain to be ruled out by physical examination and appropriate investigations.

Regards.