Child born at 37 weeks, developed rash at back of neck, ears and forehead. On breast milk. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I have a new born daughter 5 weeks old. She was born 4 weeks premature at 37 weeks. She has developed severe rashes in the back of her neck, ears and forehead.. She is on breast milk and has healthy feeds. please advise on the exact nature of the problem along with its cause and cure.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, your daughter will be alright

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the problem of your daughter. I have thoroughly seen the picture of your daughter's problem and correlated the history provided by you. The most close diagnosis is "Infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis".

To explain you elaborately- This is a common eruption seen in infants, having a
predilection for the scalp, trunk area and the proximal flexures.The eruption appears most frequently between the third and eighth weeks after birth. In your daughter it probably appeared within this period only.

It starts on the face and scalp or sometimes the rash occurs almost simultaneously on the face, scalp and in the napkin area at its onset the area behind the ears tending to be the most severely affected. The rash comprises well-defined areas of redness and scaling with tiny vesicles.

Now you must be worried that why she is having this problem. So you should not be worried as it is a simple condition resulting due to a mild fungus. It is a simple self subsiding hypersensitivity to that fungus and remains for few weeks, then resolves in next few weeks of period.

For the treatment part she should be bathed at least once a day, and a dispersing bath oil may be added to the water. During the bath, affected areas should be cleaned with a water-dispersible emollient or mild moisturizing cream. Soap should be avoided. After bathing a cream containing 2% ketoconazole can be applied in a very thin layer for once or twice a day for 10–14 days. At other times during the day, a simple emollient cream or ointment can be applied.

So do not worry your daughter will be alright in next couple of weeks with these simple measure enumerated above.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish good health to your family "

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: Child born at 37 weeks, developed rash at back of neck, ears and forehead. On breast milk. Suggest? 36 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor for the reassuring answer. I like the detailed explanation and it has put our mind to rest.

Thanks
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thankns for appreciation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.
Your appreciation is the continuous source of inspiration to work better and best.
All the best, the little XXXXXXX will be alright in next few weeks.

With best regards,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: Child born at 37 weeks, developed rash at back of neck, ears and forehead. On breast milk. Suggest? 5 hours later
Hi Dr.Kanodia, I am noticing some fresh eruptions on the chest area. Also there is skin peeling at the back of neck. Please advise if this is expected.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are the usual sites for eruptions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

You do not worry about the appearance of the eruptions on the chest area. The eruptions can start in the napkin area; in others, it can start on the face and scalp. Occasionally, the eruptions first appears on the trunk outside the napkin area. Often, the rash can occurs almost simultaneously on the face, scalp and in the napkin area at its onset.

It tends to spread fairly rapidly to involve the scalp, face, neck, napkin area and axillae. On the face, the forehead, eyebrows, eyelids and nasolabial folds tend to be the worst affected areas. The eruption is often confluent around the neck and up the sides of the face to the temples, the area behind the ears tending to be the most severely affected. As I said earlier it can involve the napkin area, the folds are confluently involved. On the trunk, the umbilical area is a favourite site but can occur any where on chest and back.

So probably you got some idea regarding the whole of eruptions. Do not worry these are the usual cascade of the condition.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
With good health wishes to your family