Child ate vitamin C tablets. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My 3 year old son ate 6 500mg vitamin c tablets .should i be worried. Only via c no iron Sorry my son is 3.5years old and male.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thank you for the query. You should not be worried. If this was only vit c then this is not problematic. Actually this is maximum dose that child at his age may take so side effects or vit c hypersaturation are not likely to happen.Just give him plenty of fluids today to speed up urination. Sometimes some classic(not dose dependent) side effects may happen such as nausea, heartburn, stomach cramps and headache but this is still not reason worry. If these symptoms are severe then consult your doctor. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Child ate vitamin C tablets. Should I be worried? 3 minutes later
Thank you so the XXXXXXX dose for a 3 year old is 3000mg?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Yes, we can say that this is still tolerable upper intake level if taken only once and no hospital treatment is necessary. Vitamin c overdose happens only in extremely huge doses( 0000-0000mg) since excess of vit c is excreted through kidneys and it does not stay in our organism for long.

Follow-up: Child ate vitamin C tablets. Should I be worried? 5 minutes later
Thanks extremely helpful

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: You are welcome and explain your boy that these are not candies:)