Child accidently drank fabric conditioner. What is the first aid and side effects, advise?

Question
my kid drink a portion of fabric conditioner, what will be the first aid that i can give? what will be the side effects on his body?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 57 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Ingestion of Fabric conditioner is not common. I hope that your Kid has consumed only a negligible quantity of it. Fabric conditioner contains a number of chemicals namely dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride or polydimethylsiloxane etc. and emulsifiers.

There is no first aid which can be given at your level in home. The best treatment will be to remove as much of conditioner from stomach through gastric lavage, which can be done only in Hospital by experts.

Your kid may require symptomatic treatment also as per symptoms developed. In my opinion you should consult a Pediatrician and get him admitted for wait & watch and for treatment required on the basis of symptoms.

Wish your kid good health,