Chest x-ray showed hyperaerated with mild increased interstitial markings. What does this mean?

Hi, I just had a chest xray and the impression came back "hyperaerated with mild increased interstitial markings." I am 45 and have never smoked, although grew up in a smoking house. Also, I am in excellent shape and have no breathing problems, run several miles, etc. What could this mean, I'm worried. My dr did not seem too concerned. Oh, just to add something. I did have a very bad/cold chest and sinus infection two weeks prior. Not sure if that means anything.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to be too concerned Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this findings on your chest xray and all the disturbing thoughts this has caused you. Hyper-aerated means there is more air in the lungs than would have been expected. This could be caused by having inhaled and held much air volume during the exam if there is no other disease to explain it. It is okay to get concerned when something not too typical is reported on your exam findings. However, no exam is more informative or suggestive of a disease than what the patient's condition suggests. We treat patients and not results. Results are always correlated with clinical findings for any meaningful decision and treatment plans to be established. I will suggest that you don't get bothered by this. If anything else comes up in future to suggest otherwise, then we shall act thus. For now, I will side with your doctor not to be any more concerned about this right now. Beside, was this a routine exam? I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.