Chest tightness, palpitation, build up of mucus. Due to excessive alcohol intake? History of social anxiety disorder

Hi, i have drunk an excessive amount of alchohol in the last few days (i know), and am currently experiencing a tight chest feeling, which seems to get worse for a few seconds every so often. It also feels as though i have a build up of mucus. When my stomach grumbles it seems to reduce the pressure. This has happened a few times over the last few months after alchohol. Also the other day i was in the gym but had to stop as heart started beating really fast and heavy. Could this be related? Thanks. Ps a couple of years ago i used to suffer from a form of social anxiety which have overcome.
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 35 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from acute alcoholic gastritis.
The most common symptoms of alcoholic gastritis are
Pain and discomfort in upper abdomen
Nausea and vomiting
Burning sensation in upper belly.

The only way to stop the symptoms of alcohol-induced gastritis is to either reduce your alcohol consumption or stop drinking altogether.

There are over.the-counter and prescription remedies for the temporary alleviation of gastritis. But the important word here is 'temporary', the symptoms will always return if you continue to drink excessively.these medications are antacids and proton pump inhibitors like pantoprozole etc.

Alcoholism does cause palpitations and it could be due to loss of electrolytes resulting from dehydration and also due to loss of magnesium.
Since you earlier suffered from anxiety disorder,I advise you to stay away from alcohol as it can precipitate your anxieties again.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Chest tightness, palpitation, build up of mucus. Due to excessive alcohol intake? History of social anxiety disorder 29 minutes later
Thanks for quick response. I have a very slight pain in the left of my abdomen, just below my rib cage. The pressure that comes in my abdomen makes my whole body kind of bend forward and tense up, i guess this is a common symptom as well? Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 minutes later
You are right.
This pain seems to be due to gastritis only.