Chest pain in center close to sternum, hurts with swallowing, pressing and changing positions, EKG, blood test & mammorgram normal, had melanoma, family history of cancer

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have concerns about chest pain. Heart issues have been ruled out by EKG and blood test. I do have a stress echo scheduled. The pain is mostly right side, sporadically on the left. It is center, mostly close to the sternum and just over right breast, and I feel it in the center right side of my back as well. Hurts when pressing near sternum or between ribs. Worsens sometimes with swallowing, and I do at times feel food gets "stuck" when eating. The pain can shift and change with activity, usually worse after changing positions. I am large breasted (34G) but have been fitted. At times bras can make ribs hurt. Clear mammogram as of last spring. I had melanoma (stage 0) three years ago with no other complications, but I do find myself worrying about cancers. My mother was a breast cancer survivor and my father died from metastatic cancer that began in the bladder.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Your symptoms are not suggestive of any cancers or a serious problem. The pain behind sternum specially precipitated on eating is most likely due to a gastroesophageal reflux disorder.
Heart issues have already been ruled out in your case. Stress echo will rule these out further.

I recommend you to consult your treating doctor who shall prescribe the required dose and locally available brands of antacids.

Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking.Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .
The other causes that need to be excluded are musculoskeletal problems of the chest wall like costochondritis, etc.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Chest pain in center close to sternum, hurts with swallowing, pressing and changing positions, EKG, blood test & mammorgram normal, had melanoma, family history of cancer 7 hours later
thank you for the reply. Would the pain be as constant, even when not eating or drinking, with GERD? It has been a more constant, nagging pain the past few days, and now I feel soreness in my hands, wrists, and arms.

thank you!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In GERD the pain usually waxes and wanes with food intake.The associated soreness in hands and wrists and arms is more suggestive of a musculoskeletal problem. You can start with a mild pain killer like acetaminophen and see if it helps in the improvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.