Chest pain. Swollen, itching and red hands after taking Omeprazole. Should I worry?

I went to the er today with chest pains, I am 24, 5'7", and 120 pounds. The dr assumed it was really bad acid reflux and perscribed omeprazole 40mg. My hands started itching before I took the medicine, I took the medicine at one and now (820)my hands are swelling, itching, and red. Should I worry?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

The chest pain and the rashes on your hands look like unrelated issue. You have developed an allergic reaction to something you have touched or eaten.

In these situations you must be put on an antihistamine like tablet levocetrizine.
Calamine lotion will help reduce the itching and the redness

Please go to a physician as soon as possible for a physical examination.

In the mean time please follow this advice:

1. Do not wash your hands with regular soap. Use glycerine soap
2. Do not apply any moisturizer
3. Try not to scratch
4. Watch out for fever and breathing difficulty
5. Avoid traveling if you have any plans

You will have to undergo the following tests

1. Complete blood count
2. Absolute eosinophil count
3. Renal function test

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery.