Chest flutter, taking propranolos. What is causing this?

Jan 2013

I have been getting flutters in my chest everyday sinse July lasting hours occurring every minute or so I don't see a cardiologist until October and feel like I can't live like this much longer . I take propranolol 4 times a day with no affect and tomorrow supposed to switch to bisoprolol 2.5 mg which I am scared of taking without diagnosis as to what is causing these flutters are they safe To take as feel like doctors just trying me on different tablets as they
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 52 minutes later
You are suffering from palpitation (feeling of heart beat like flutters) and it is essential to find the cause.
Palpitation may be due to heart problem or may be due to hormonal problems.
If cardiac and non-cardiac evaluation is normal then you may have panic attacks.
Do you have fever/ increased sweating/ watery shit/ weight loss?
Do you have squeezing sensation/ sweating/ difficulty in respiration/ respiratory difficulties with change of posture/ swelling in feet ?
Have you undergone thyroid profile/ serum electrolytes/ ECG for heart previously?
What was their reports?
You should consult with physician / cardiologist and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, serum electrolytes, thyroid profile, renal function test, epinephrine, norepinephrine and urianry VMA level, ECG, 2 D echo and coronary angiography if needed.
Palpitation may be cardiac problems such as VPCs, APC, PSVT, Junctional rhythm, ventricular bigeminy and trigeminy. These heart diseases may be diagnosed by ECG and holter monitoring for 48-72 hours. If still not helpful then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.
Hormonal disorders may be thyroid disorders and pheochromocytoma.
These disorders may be diagnosed by above mentioned hormone analysis test.
If all investigations are normal, then there may be possibilities of panic attacks. In such conditions you should consult with psychiatrist.
As you are taking propranolol, this may benefit you in panic attacks but may be XXXXXXX in AV block so avoid taking medicines randomly without any diagnosis.
Bisoprolol is also associated with decrease in blood pressure with decrease heart rate (may be in trouble if you have normal blood pressure).
Put your views also.
With wishes of speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava