Chest congestion with slight cough and mild temperature. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Chest congestion with light cough and 99.6 temp. 58 years old
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It appears that you could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, chest congestion.

Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

You can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices. You can take acetaminophen for symptomatic relief.

For light cough you can have cough lozenges for relief.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can take cough suppressants if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.