Chest and lower neck started getting red and itchy. Feels hot to touch. What could be this?

Two days ago my chest and lower neck started getting red. Some bumps, but it is mostly just red and hot and itches very very badly. When I touch it it turns white- hot to the touch. It does not look like pictures of hives, etc. It is the bottom part of my neck and a v shape on my chest, and is mostly red. Some blotchiness, and some small dots where it is not red anymore. I have been under stress this week
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later

These symptoms can be due to an allergic reaction causing hives or viral rashes or due to sweat dermatitis. Hives is often precipitated by stress.

The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them like Benadryl may cause drowsiness, hence it should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids is available by prescription from a dermatologist.

Also avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible.

In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and take foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also take a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.