Chest X-ray shows right middle lobe indistinct opacity, blood in sputum, done cat scan. Cancer?

i am 53, 6ft, 235 pounds.
I have just had a chest x XXXXXXX and it said there is an indistinct density in right middle lung-impression said right middle lobe indistinct opacity. I also have blood on ocassion in sputum
i'm going for cat scan and also gastroenterologist. But its a long wait to appointment- is it likely i have cancer
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 24 hours later

Thanks for the query. I have seen the report.

Do you smoke or chew tobacco?

Though it is good to view the film and comment, the report you had sent me has no features suggestive of cancer. The radiologist perceives as if the lesion should resolve on its own.

In general a solitary lesion on chest Xray should be investigated with a follow up Chest Xray. I still recommend you to repeat the Chest Xray after 3 months instead of waiting for CAT scan.

At the same time, it is good to evaluate the possible reason for sputum with blood with the help of a pulmonologist. Sometimes the reasons can be very benign.

Hope I have answered your query.