Chest X-ray showed some nodules and wanted second X-ray. Father had lug cancer. Chances?

May 2014

I had a chest X-ray yesterday and the Dr. called me this morning to say that they identified some nodules. They want me to have further X-rays next week. I'm nervous! My Father died of lung cancer when he was only 54. I will be 60 soon. What are my chances?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pneumonia requires repeat Chest X XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have gone through your medical history in detail. Sorry to hear that your Father had lung cancer and its obviously a concern that your X XXXXXXX shows suspected nodule.

It is important that you get completely investigated due to polyp and Barrette's esophagus. If you are having pneumonia, chances are that the nodules are due to pneumonia, still a follow up X XXXXXXX is necessary after a week of treatment to look for improvement.

Details about lung nodules in general

A lung nodule, when first diagnosed, is often a cause of worry to the patient and doctor as until biopsy is done and pathological diagnosis is made, treatment cannot be decided. However, there are certain tell tale signs in a nodule which point towards a benign condition. I would like to discuss that with you and assure that its not something scary that you have in your lung.

1. A solitary pulmonary nodule is defined as a discrete, well-marginated, rounded opacity less than or equal to 3 cm in diameter which may be benign or malignant. Lesions larger than 3 cm are considered masses and are treated as malignancies until proven otherwise.

2. A doubling time of less than 1 month or longer than 18 months makes malignancy unlikely. If your nodule is not growing too fast then it is not too worrisome.

3. Chest radiographs may demonstrate calcification, which often indicates that the lesion is benign.

4. Border of the nodule: a well-defined, smooth edge may indicate a benign lesion. This is a technical point.

As the above are technical factors that will be best understood by doing repeat X XXXXXXX or CT scan and comparing with earlier scans or radiographs. I would suggest you to get repeat X XXXXXXX done and discuss the need for a CT scan if necessary, for further evaluation.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Wish you a quick recovery.