Chest X-ray showed patch of pneumonia. Talking penicillin for bronchial distress and fatigue. Can I have Valley Fever?

I had a chest X-ray and Doc said I had small patch of pneumonia . I have had bronchial distress and fatigue since a trip West to Arizona, Utah, and California by car. My lungs were clear when Doc listened to them. This is 2nd huge I bronchial distress since I have returned to Indiana. I have suspected Valley Fever but my Doc dismissed that due to no rash. I am now on penicillin , but feel I need anti fungal med. is there an easy test to ask for to eliminate Valley Fever?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sputum and blood investigations Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear about your current diagnosis, but I am sure you will get better soon. As for the investigations available to diagnose/rule out Valley fever, there are two available investigations and I would say that they are both easy, if criteria is met. They are: 1. Sputum culture and sensitivity: Criteria required here is the symptoms of cough, and the presence of sputum with the cough. If you do have cough, but are having difficulty expelling the sputum, then take sips of lukewarm water through the day or add an expectorant to your treatment regimen 2. Blood investigations: Level of antibodies formed by the body due to the presence of the fungus that causes valley fever can be checked in your blood I am sure both these investigations are easy, and quite commonly available on request. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Chest X-ray showed patch of pneumonia. Talking penicillin for bronchial distress and fatigue. Can I have Valley Fever? 13 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Would Antibiotics help the symptoms of Valley Fever? What kind of treatment should I expect if I have Valley Fever? My trip was in XXXXXXX to August, will it take a long time to treat?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: No; anti-fungals; 2-4 weeks Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. You are most welcome. Well, valley fever is a fungal infection, so antibiotics would not help at all. The treatment advised for valley fever would include anti-fungal medication (eg. itraconazole or fluconazole). Treatment should take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, depending on severity of symptoms/condition. I hope you found me response helpful. Please do keep in touch. Wishing you nothing but good health. God bless.