Changes in vision. Having nearsightedness and astigmatism. Appearance of halo around lights. Whom should I consult?

i have nearsightedness and astigmatism and have been noticing some changes in my vision over the past two months, most notably the appearance of a halo around streetlights at night and glare problems during the day. I also have been seeing larger starbursts at night, which makes driving difficult. I have seen an optometrist, who prescribed me with double glare protective eyeglasses, which I received in early January. This has not improved my symptoms, however. I have attached two images from a website called WWW.WWWW.WW that shows some of what I am seeing. I was wondering what type of conditions could be causing my symptoms and what type of medical practitioner I should seek attention from for further treatment.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Appearance of halo and glare is commonly seen with nearsightedness. Using anti glare glasses helps in most of the cases.

Persistence of glare with anti glare glasses might be suggestive of a pathology related to XXXXXXX eye structures. This needs a thorough evaluation under the care of an OPHTHALMOLOGIST. Further treatment depends on the problem diagnosed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.