Changes in menstrual period due to Cypralex? Does Celebrex interfere with Cypralex?

I'm 39 years old woman taking Cypralex 5mg on daily basis for the last 3 months i noticed changes in my mensual period mainly coming earlier and stronger is it fron the drug? I'm fit and I'm not taking any other medication but now i"m on celebrex due back pain does celebrex interfere with cypralex?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 25 minutes later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

First, please confirm that you are taking escitalopram. I must ask that because the brand Cipralex of escitalopram is both called something different in United States (Lexapro) and is spelled Cipralex (not Cypralex).

Once I hear back from you on this clarification I will follow up with some additional information.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz
Follow-up: Changes in menstrual period due to Cypralex? Does Celebrex interfere with Cypralex? 3 hours later
yes it is Escitalopram (Cipralex)
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 13 minutes later
Hello again,

Thank you for that clarification.

Cipralex should not directly causes changes in your menstrual pattern. However, it can effect bleeding, both when taken alone, but especially when taking with other drugs that could also affect bleeding, Celebrex among them.

It is possible therefore that this is the explanation for your heavier bleeding. It does not quite explain a shortened menstrual cycle.

An increased risk of bleeding is the only interaction between cipralex and Celebrex that I am aware of.

I Wish you Good Health. If you are satisfied with my response, then please do not forget to accept it.

Dr. J. Schwartz