Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi to whom it may concern I was in the locker room changing and this Coworker was messing with me trying to get my tip money and i was on the ground and my money was in my hand holding on to it So he would'nt get it and I felt fluid come down on me I believe it was salvia from his mouth not sure though i checked everywhere I found no blood I dont know where that fluid landed I hope not my mouth what should i do but I think it landed on my shirt not sure Should i worry
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Even if you would swallow someones saliva it is almost impossible to catch HIV, HBV or HCV viruses. Other infection possibility (like fungal or herpes) is extremely hard. It is because your saliva and whole gastrointestinal tract produces antibodies (IgA) which protect you from any infection. Moreover, your stomach produces acid which is a strong barrier protecting you from any infection.
Virus or bacteria needs to get to the blood stream to cause an infection. So you should not worry at all.
Skin (if not injured) is also impenetrable barrier for most of pathogens.
So no reason to worry.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva? 4 minutes later
So nothing would happen if someon did a sexual act but my clothes were on?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
As long as there is no contact with mucous membrane (which covers vagina) with the penis, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva? 5 minutes later
It was my behind but it was with another guy but my pants were up he was horseplaying

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Pants does not guarantee protection. It does not work that way. It it were an anal intercourse, than there is always a risk of HIV infection. Especially if you are not certain about your partner. In such case, you should have HIV test after 3 weeks from the intercourse.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva? 6 minutes later
He was on my like a cowboy to my knowlege nothing happned i was laying on my stomach and he was like indian style on me. but my shorts were on me!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Ok, so there is no way to get an infection with your shorts on. If there was no contact with the penis and the anus, no reason to worry at all.

Regards.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva? 2 minutes later
I dont think So contact?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Ok, let me make it as clear as possible.
By contact I mean direct and close contact of the head of the penis with the mucosa of your rectum. A contact without any tissues between the penis and the anus. So if you have had your shorts on, there is no possibility for the penis to penetrate the rectum. And there is no way to get infected.
Otherwise there will be possible to get infected in the crowd where the people are accidentally touching themselves. This is not possible to get infected in the crowd. And there is no possibility to get infected at your case. So please stop worrying about it.

Hope this will be helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from swallowing saliva? 19 minutes later
his clothes were on as well!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
So it makes an infection even more impossible. You may assume that nothing really happen and accept that the risk of any contamination is 0%.

Regards.