Chances of getting HIV after oral sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist

I went to Bar & got drunk in the Bar and i french kissed on the tongue a Bar Girl for approximately 20 Secs.

I might have bit the Girl on the Lip & i am not very sure if Blood Came out

This happenned on Friday 26th Oct. I am so very scared that the Bar Girl might have HIV.

Please suggest what should i do or if their is a preventive medicine i can take...
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Human Saliva contains very, very negligible to almost no HIV virus, even if the individual is HIV positive. Hence oral sex is comparatively safer than that of anal or vaginal penetrative sex. Your described incidence is not sufficient to cause HIV.

I see that your fear / concerns are based on imagination and probably you may have not bit her and there was no bleeding too... In all possibilities, I hope my explanation allays all your fears. Let me repeat it - "The possibility of getting HIV is remote in your case".

Preventive drugs after 48 hours are not very useful. You don't need them...

If your nerves are still not settled and you still fear about HIV, then I suggest you to do HIV DNA PCR OR P24 Antigen test after 2 weeks or HIV ELISA or rapid test after 12 weeks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck to you...
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV after oral sex? 4 days later

Incase i want to be 100% sure of not having HIV what all test i should do & in what all time frame.

Further please suggest if i should stay a little away from my wife & Kids as i don't want them to have the same..

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The answer to your follow up query is in my initial answer itself. Let me repeat it again for you.

For you to be 100% sure you can get the HIV DNA PCR or P24 antigen assay after 2 weeks. These two are HIV viral antigen tests that are confirmatory.

You may abstain from sexual intercourse with your wife until the time you get yourself tested. With the kids, you can still share your affection. I appreciate your concern towards your family.

Again, your exposure makes it very very unlikely for you to test positive for HIV.

All the best and take care.

Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV after oral sex? 5 minutes later

Do I need to just have one of these tests or should I have both the test. To be 100 % sure.

Would the 12 Week test also be required post these test.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 26 hours later

One test is enough. You can opt of HIV DNA PCR test.

Test after 12 weeks is not necessary again.

All the best!!!